- Speech - A Tribute to Jenny Macklin’s Public Policy Contribution on the 10th Anniversary of Labor’s 2007 Election Victory
- Tonight, I’d like to reflect on the ten-year anniversary of the election of the 2007 Labor Government and pay tribute to one of the most dynamic, tenacious, and successful champions of its Ministry, Jenny Macklin. It was about this time ten years ago that I was sitting in the Channel 9 studios in the National Tally Room. As I watched the results come in – a 3 per cent swing to Labor in Lilley, a 4.5 per cent swing to Labor in Jagajaga, a...
November 24, 2017
- Speech - Treasury Laws Amendment (Enterprise Tax Plan No. 2) Bill 2017
- The Treasury Laws Amendment (Enterprise Tax Plan No. 2) Bill 2017, I think, aims to complete the coalition's extreme trickle-down economic program by cutting the corporate rate for companies with a turnover above $50 million to 25 per cent. The staggering cost of all these measures is $65 billion. Almost 40 years after the trickle-down economics was first introduced in the US and the UK under Reagan and Thatcher, Malcolm Turnbull is attempting...
October 18, 2017
- Speech - Achieving Inclusive Growth (Address to "10 Years After The Crash" Conference)
- The collective effort of the international community through through 2008 and 2009 averted the great Depression Mark II. It taught us the importance of international coordination and cooperation.Today I genuinely doubt the capacity of global institutions and sovereign governments to respond as they through Christmas 2008 and March 2009.
September 13, 2017
- Speech - Launch of Curtin Research Centre Essay
- I thought I’d start with a newspaper article which I think captures both, why corporate governance in Australia is in need of a major shakeup and also why worker representation on company boards is crucial for Australia’s future economic prosperity. In March of last year the Australian Financial Review gathered prominent members of the Business Council of Australia (BCA) for a round table discussion. During the discussion the now former...
August 30, 2017
- Transcript - National Press Club Q&A
- Ed Balls, Wayne Swan, thank you both very much. We're going to move into the questions now. To kick things off, I just want to go to- I mean, you've raised a whole series of issues there that are really interesting. One, I think there'll be little disagreement on though, is the need to get the earning power – improve the earning power – of those middle income earners, and I suppose, medium-skilled workers you talk about as well....
August 17, 2017
- Speech - GFC+10: A New Platform For A New Debate (Address to the National Press Club)
- Good afternoon, Welcome everyone, and a very special welcome to Ed, who I’ve had the privilege of knowing since he was a minister in Gordon Brown’s government. Over our careers, both of us have experienced political life after political death, having lost our seats in unexpected circumstances. I fought my way back; Ed is dancing his way back ‘Gangnam style’. Anyone who has ever seen him on his feet in parliament, or on ‘Strictly Come Dancin...
August 17, 2017