- Transcript - NAIF (May 2017) [Parliament House Doorstop]
- Last night I spoke in the Parliament about the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility and pointed out that it is nothing more than a National Party slush fund - a $5 billion dollar to a National Party slush fund, without all of the checks and balances that usually come with a government finance corporation. Its unprecedented how that amount of money allocated to a government corporation without the Minister for Finance being there supe...
May 30, 2017
- Speech - Adjournment Debate [NAIF]
- In March I referred the governance and operations of the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility to the Auditor-General for his consideration, and I am pleased to note that he has now placed it on his future work agenda. The NAIF provides no security for the $5 billion appropriated to it and, as it is currently structured, the NAIF represents an opportunity for a domineering minister to allocate billions of dollars without any checks or bal...
May 29, 2017
- Speech - Private Members Business (Energy Security)
- When I saw this motion, I did not know whether to laugh or to cry. Catastrophic energy policy from this government has seen electricity prices double on their watch. Their dismantling of the carbon price in the scheme put in place by Labor has strangled investment in the energy industry and resulted in a spike in prices which consumers will have to live with for many years to come. It is very clear where the blame for this lies—at those ideolo...
May 26, 2017
- Article - The Hawke-Keating agenda was Laborism, not neoliberalism, and is still a guiding light
- Language in politics is a fraught business. Certain terms and words are thrown around so often and so easily that they can lose their punch, if not their meaning. The recent article ‘Australian Labor led centre-left parties into neoliberalism’ had at its core a grossly erroneous claim – that the Hawke-Keating governments were the tip of the arrow for neoliberalism, globally and at home. In recent times, ‘neoliberalism’ has re-emerged as...
May 24, 2017
- Speech - Constituency Statement (BHP)
- Last week, we received further confirmation of BHP’s $1.4 billion tax evasion through its Singapore tax haven, or to use BHP’s Orwellian term, their “marketing hub”. Vulture fund Elliot Advisors described BHP’s claims of transparency as disingenuous, and its marketing hub as unsustainable.
May 22, 2017
- Transcript - Budget 2017 [Parliament House Doorstop]
- I want to deal with the three lies behind Scott Morrison's budget, firstly the lie that the NDIS was not fully funded. The NDIS was fully funded by Labor in the 2013-14 Budget and the notion that we would increase the Medicare Levy to fund the NDIS is nothing but pure fiction, what Scott Morrison is doing is increasing taxes on all Australians to pay for his budget mismanagement and in particular he's knocked off the levy on higher income e...
May 10, 2017