- Speech - GFC+10: A New Platform For A New Debate (Address to the National Press Club)
- Good afternoon, Welcome everyone, and a very special welcome to Ed, who I’ve had the privilege of knowing since he was a minister in Gordon Brown’s government. Over our careers, both of us have experienced political life after political death, having lost our seats in unexpected circumstances. I fought my way back; Ed is dancing his way back ‘Gangnam style’. Anyone who has ever seen him on his feet in parliament, or on ‘Strictly Come Dancin...
August 17, 2017
- Speech - Beyond the Trumpification of Australian Business: The Foundations for Prosperity & Inclusive Growth
- Good morning, Thank you for that introduction. As a Queenslander, welcome to the Sunshine State I hope you’re enjoying our beautiful winters and golden beaches while you’re here (even if the water is a bit nippy). A couple of years ago I was in New York attending a Bernie Sanders rally and an entertaining Texan by the name of Jim Hightower gave a speech endorsing the candidacy of Bernie Sanders.
August 02, 2017
- Transcript - Sky News PM Agenda
- DAVID SPEERS: Wayne Swan thanks for your time this afternoon. I just want to go through some of the ideas you've raised at this speech here today, starting with giving workers more power to negotiate better wages and a greater say in our economy. What specifically are you talking about?
June 26, 2017
- Speech - Restoring Class Balance: Bargaining Power and Full Employment in the 21st Century
- Good morning delegates and members, Thank you for having me here to speak this morning. It’s been clear for some time that the world is at a crossroads. The neoliberal economic order, or as I will call it today, the trickle-down economic agenda, established in the 1980s is crumbling under the weight of excess and threatens democracy itself.
June 26, 2017
- Transcript - Finkel Review [Parliament House Doorstop]
- In 2013, Tony Abbott took a working carbon price and destroyed it; the consequence was that wholesale electricity prices have doubled. Tony Abbott was a wrecker then and he's a wrecker now. The tragedy however is that he's now joined by up to half of the party room, who can't face up to the basic scientific facts presented by the chief scientist and are now in revolt about a policy that is absolutely essential to our strong economic growth int...
June 14, 2017
- Speech - Treasury Laws Amendment (GST Low Value Goods) Bill 2017
- I think it is fair to say that the government has bungled the management of this bill and this issue from the very start. The policy issue of ensuring overseas retailers are put on a level playing field with Australian retailers when it comes to the GST has been around for a long time. And I do think Australian retailers are 100 per cent right when they say they should not face a GST cost disadvantage to overseas or online retailers. Labor MPs...
June 14, 2017