- Transcript - Budget 2017 [Parliament House Doorstop]
- I want to deal with the three lies behind Scott Morrison's budget, firstly the lie that the NDIS was not fully funded. The NDIS was fully funded by Labor in the 2013-14 Budget and the notion that we would increase the Medicare Levy to fund the NDIS is nothing but pure fiction, what Scott Morrison is doing is increasing taxes on all Australians to pay for his budget mismanagement and in particular he's knocked off the levy on higher income e...
May 10, 2017
- Transcript - Government's Economic Policy [Parliament House Doorstop]
- [A freeze on the minimum wage] is just a recipe for growing inequality and political polarisation. This is a government of the one percent, by the one percent, for the one percent. Right around the world there is a recognition that the economic policy of this Government and other conservatives that we should give tax cuts to the rich and wage cuts to low and middle income earners is a recipe for economic failure.
March 30, 2017
- Speech - Matter of Public Importance (Economic Power)
- The politically inspired inequality of the Liberals is poisoning our society, and the power of big money is crowding out our democracy. Exhibit A of that is an unfunded $50 billion corporate tax cut, where the Treasury modelling shows it will not have the power and the influence over jobs and growth that the government claims it will. Common sense tells you that it will not either. Exhibit A here is really tax policy more broadly. Really what...
March 30, 2017
- Transcript - NAIF (Mach 2017) [Parliament House Doorstop]
- Just quickly on the recovery and reconstruction of North Queensland post Cyclone Debbie, we're still in the event but what we learnt during Cyclone Yasi is that we need all tiers of government working together. The federal government, the state government, the local government working very closely together and we also need the federal government to be really clear about the resources that it will make available in the medium term and the lo...
March 29, 2017
- Speech - Adjournment Debate (Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility)
- Tonight I rise to speak about the Northern Australian Infrastructure Facility or NAIF. I have always strongly supported the concept of an Australian Government investment corporation to fund critical economic infrastructure and I have had a passionate commitment to investing in infrastructure in Northern Australia. With the State Government and Townsville enterprise, I strongly pushed for the CopperString Project and made a substantial b...
March 27, 2017
- Speech - Private Members Business (Small Business - March 2017)
- I would like to say a few words about the important topic of small business and the role that small businesses play in our economy. If you read through the list that is there in the motion, the problem is that most of those policies mentioned in the motion are not going to do anything about the fundamental problems facing small business in our community and in our country. What we see is a repetition of a list of policies which can best be des...
March 27, 2017