- Speech - Adjournment Debate (Trickledown Economics)
- Today I want to expose a number of myths—four myths actually—that the Liberals use to justify cutting their unfunded corporate tax cut of $50 billion. The first myth is that cutting the corporate tax rate will reduce the incentives for companies to evade tax. The truth is many companies are paying little or no tax, and they will continue to evade tax whatever the rate that is put before them. The fact is, and it is an unfortunate truth, there...
March 23, 2017
- Speech - Treasury Laws Amendment (Combating Multinational Tax Avoidance) Diverted Profits Tax Bill
- Multinational tax evasion in this country has reached epidemic levels, and, as the Commissioner of Taxation himself said, 'Enough is enough.' The previous speaker, the member for Parramatta, was correct: there is something missing in this bill. Some of the measures could well be effective if they are properly implemented. Yet the Treasury Laws Amendment (Combating Multinational Tax Avoidance) Bill 2017 raises virtually nothing, a fig leaf—a me...
March 21, 2017
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Energy Supplement)
- Over the four long years of the Abbott-Turnbull government pensioners in Lilley and right across the country have endured economic assault after economic assault from the Liberal Party. First of all the Liberals tried to cut the age pension by $80 a week over a decade. After that they decided to get stuck into the incomes of part pensioners, and some 330,000 part pensioners right across Australia had their incomes cut. Then they came up with t...
March 20, 2017
- Speech - Beyond the GFC: Foundations for Prosperity and Inclusion
- A quarter-century ago Western liberal democracy was riding high: communism had collapsed, Europe was uniting; and a new global economic consensus led by the United States had been established. This New Consensus dictated that free markets -- uninhibited by government regulation, lower taxes and reliance on monetary policy to fine tune an economy -- would deliver sustained economic growth and rising living standards and that the wealth cre...
March 15, 2017
- Transcript - RN Breakfast [Inequality]
- Well going down the American Road is going down a road of massive concentration of income and wealth at the top, a hollowed out middle class and the creation of a vast army of working power so growing inequality in America and in other parts of the developed world just eats away the heart of society; it breeds disdain, it breeds envy, it breeds hopelessness and it breeds resentment. And that's precisely what we've seen in the United States, th...
March 02, 2017
- Speech - Address to the 2017 AWU National Conference
- It’s great to see so many old friends I’ve worked with over the years here today. When I last spoke to you two years ago I mentioned being in New York and walking the high line. One morning as I was walking along the abandoned railway tracks of this urban park I looked up and on side of an old brick building was a large advertisement, which read, “the French aristocracy never saw it coming either.”
March 01, 2017