- Speech - Constituency Statement (Energy Supplement)
- Over the four long years of the Abbott-Turnbull government pensioners in Lilley and right across the country have endured economic assault after economic assault from the Liberal Party. First of all the Liberals tried to cut the age pension by $80 a week over a decade. After that they decided to get stuck into the incomes of part pensioners, and some 330,000 part pensioners right across Australia had their incomes cut. Then they came up with t...
March 20, 2017
- Speech - Beyond the GFC: Foundations for Prosperity and Inclusion
- A quarter-century ago Western liberal democracy was riding high: communism had collapsed, Europe was uniting; and a new global economic consensus led by the United States had been established. This New Consensus dictated that free markets -- uninhibited by government regulation, lower taxes and reliance on monetary policy to fine tune an economy -- would deliver sustained economic growth and rising living standards and that the wealth cre...
March 15, 2017
- Transcript - RN Breakfast [Inequality]
- Well going down the American Road is going down a road of massive concentration of income and wealth at the top, a hollowed out middle class and the creation of a vast army of working power so growing inequality in America and in other parts of the developed world just eats away the heart of society; it breeds disdain, it breeds envy, it breeds hopelessness and it breeds resentment. And that's precisely what we've seen in the United States, th...
March 02, 2017
- Speech - Address to the 2017 AWU National Conference
- It’s great to see so many old friends I’ve worked with over the years here today. When I last spoke to you two years ago I mentioned being in New York and walking the high line. One morning as I was walking along the abandoned railway tracks of this urban park I looked up and on side of an old brick building was a large advertisement, which read, “the French aristocracy never saw it coming either.”
March 01, 2017
- Article - Our Lost Decade on Climate Change & Energy Policy
- It’s a lost decade we couldn’t afford on climate change and energy policy – but when the consequences are felt in years and decades to come, it’s incumbent upon us all not to forget the political opportunists and charlatans who led us down this path.
February 20, 2017
- Speech - Adjournment Debate (Income Inequality)
- I want to talk about income inequality this morning. Income inequality and wealth inequality is growing and it has emerged as one of the greatest challenges of our generation. It is serving as a catalyst for political instability and it is producing stagnating living standards for working people across the developed world. Over the last 30 years Australia has done better than most in ensuring social equity while maintaining strong economic gro...
February 16, 2017