- Speech - Private Members Buisness (Inequality & CEO Pay)
- I thank the member for Scullin for moving this important motion, because inequality of wealth and income is the central challenge of our generation. There is no doubt it is casting a very dark shadow over the global economy and over national economies and societies. We see now that capitalist countries are increasingly dominated by a plutocratic family model of inherited privilege which is usually backed up by an overpowered and overpaid finan...
November 22, 2016
- Speech - Address In Reply
- In speaking on the address-in-reply, I want to address the government's industrial relations agenda in particular, which it is still trying to get through the parliament. At the core of this agenda are two bills: the registered organisations bill and the ABCC bill. The government says it is all about cleaning up corruption in Australia. They say it is all about making building and construction more efficient. But I say it is about the Libe...
November 22, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Anti-Dumping)
- In the past decade, the issue of dumping in steel and aluminium markets, particularly by Chinese manufacturers, has had a profound effect on the Australian steel and aluminium industries, with thousands of workers losing their jobs. Dumping is a practice of exporting goods such as steel and aluminium at below market cost, often with the intention of weakening competitors.
November 21, 2016
- Transcript - World Today
- SUBJECT/S: US ELECTION, INEQUALITY, 457 VISAS ELEANOR HALL: Wayne Swan has written an opinion piece in response to the US Election saying that, Donald Trump’s victory sends quote, ‘a final warning to major Australian political parties’. Mr Swan spent several months earlier this year working a report into inequality and inclusive prosperity and he says the massive increases in wealth and power for those at the very top of...
November 16, 2016
- Article - The blindness of affluence and the need for a more inclusive form of prosperity.
- Just over two years ago I was in New York working with Larry Summers and Ed Balls to prepare a report for the Center for American Progress on inclusive prosperity. One morning I had the opportunity to walk the High Line and on the side of an old brick building was a large advertisement which read “the French aristocracy never saw it coming either."
November 14, 2016
- Article - We Know How To Stop Trumpism
- Far from history being over, it seems like the battle of ideas has only just begun. The election of Donald Trump, the UK’s exit from the European Union and the rise of nationalist parties such as the National Front in France, the AFD in Germany and of course, One Nation and their fellow-travellers in the Liberal and National parties in Australia have completely shattered the notion that support for trickle-down economics, particularly la...
November 11, 2016