- Speech - Constituency Statements (Medicare)
- For 33 years Australians have come to regard Medicare as a national icon. Governments have come and gone, but Medicare has survived, despite the fact that particular conservative governments have sought to tear it down. There is a very good reason that Medicare has survived. It is because it brings our families the essential health security they need. It has survived because it is affordable, and it is also recognised around the world as one o...
February 13, 2017
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Medicare)
- Over the summer recess my office has been flooded with constituents concerned about Medicare and the payment system and also with people who have been issued with debt recovery notices from Centrelink. Time and time again the coalition have tried to tear holes in the social safety net and to smash and remove Medicare, but the Australian public has supported these programs on every occasion, and the Liberal Party have failed in that endeavour,...
February 07, 2017
- Article - No Honour in Tax Evasion
- While the Australia Day Honours list recognises the diverse ways in which individual Australians contribute to our community, inevitably the list includes some scoundrels as well. Over the years Australians as diverse as Rolf Harris and Alan Bond have been stripped of their Orders of Australia for breaking the law. The removal of such awards is arguably a more powerful symbolic act than their initial granting.
January 17, 2017
- Article - As the trickledown juggernaut rolls on, it's time to rejuvenate the middle class
- If the electoral landscape over 2016 has revealed anything, it’s the incredible potential energy that exists in western democracies. The polarisation of politics and the intensity of contemporary debate attest not so much to widespread apathy as to fulmination for genuine change, at both poles of the political spectrum. Victory will belong to the party which can best convert this ferment into kinetic energy.
December 16, 2016
- MEDIA RELEASE - LIBERAL’S UNFUNDED CORPORATE TAX CUT UNDERMINED BY ATO DATA SHOWING WIDESPREAD TAX MINIMISATION & EVASION
- Today’s Corporate Transparency Report from the Australian Tax Office, a product of legislation introduced under Labor, shows 700 or 36 per cent of Australian public and foreign-owned companies as well as Australian owned private companies paid no tax in 2014-15.
December 09, 2016
- Media Release - Response to Tony Makin's Report
- The leaking of a report by Professor Tony Makin prepared for the Treasury today shows just how desperate the Turnbull Government has become. The report is a little more than a reheating of Professor Makin’s 2014 “analysis” which was thoroughly debunked by Treasury at the time and is still available on the Treasury website.
December 09, 2016