- MEDIA RELEASE - LIBERAL’S UNFUNDED CORPORATE TAX CUT UNDERMINED BY ATO DATA SHOWING WIDESPREAD TAX MINIMISATION & EVASION
- Today’s Corporate Transparency Report from the Australian Tax Office, a product of legislation introduced under Labor, shows 700 or 36 per cent of Australian public and foreign-owned companies as well as Australian owned private companies paid no tax in 2014-15.
December 09, 2016
- Media Release - Response to Tony Makin's Report
- The leaking of a report by Professor Tony Makin prepared for the Treasury today shows just how desperate the Turnbull Government has become. The report is a little more than a reheating of Professor Makin’s 2014 “analysis” which was thoroughly debunked by Treasury at the time and is still available on the Treasury website.
December 09, 2016
- Speech - Statements By Members (Stacey, Mr Charles)
- Last week, Charles Stacey of Bli Bli, on the Sunshine Coast, passed away, aged 94. My grandparents were early settlers and cane farmers in the area, and Charlie was my uncle. He was a cane farmer all his life, the fifth of six children and my mum's older brother. Like my father, he answered the call and enlisted in 1942 as a member of the 9th Battalion. He served at Milne Bay and Bougainville. At Milne Bay, the 9th Battalion numbered around 60...
November 29, 2016
- Speech - Private Members Business (Regional Infrastructure)
- Our nation will rue the day we did not use this period of ultra low interest rates to invest in critical economic infrastructure in the regions and in our cities. We have missed an opportunity to put our people to work, and this is theft from future generations. Failure to invest in infrastructure is theft from future generations.
November 27, 2016
- Speech - Matter of Public Importance (Economic Inequality)
- I congratulate the member for Fenner on a brilliant speech. There are stark differences between this side of the House and that side of the House. We live in a community. They think we live in a corporation. We on this side of the House honour the hard work that creates wealth. They just honour the wealth itself. Those on that side of the House are so out of touch with average Australians. They do not walk in the same shopping aisles as averag...
November 24, 2016
- Speech - Private Members Buisness (Inequality & CEO Pay)
- I thank the member for Scullin for moving this important motion, because inequality of wealth and income is the central challenge of our generation. There is no doubt it is casting a very dark shadow over the global economy and over national economies and societies. We see now that capitalist countries are increasingly dominated by a plutocratic family model of inherited privilege which is usually backed up by an overpowered and overpaid finan...
November 22, 2016