- Transcript - World Today
- SUBJECT/S: US ELECTION, INEQUALITY, 457 VISAS ELEANOR HALL: Wayne Swan has written an opinion piece in response to the US Election saying that, Donald Trump’s victory sends quote, ‘a final warning to major Australian political parties’. Mr Swan spent several months earlier this year working a report into inequality and inclusive prosperity and he says the massive increases in wealth and power for those at the very top of...
November 16, 2016
- Article - The blindness of affluence and the need for a more inclusive form of prosperity.
- Just over two years ago I was in New York working with Larry Summers and Ed Balls to prepare a report for the Center for American Progress on inclusive prosperity. One morning I had the opportunity to walk the High Line and on the side of an old brick building was a large advertisement which read “the French aristocracy never saw it coming either."
November 14, 2016
- Article - We Know How To Stop Trumpism
- Far from history being over, it seems like the battle of ideas has only just begun. The election of Donald Trump, the UK’s exit from the European Union and the rise of nationalist parties such as the National Front in France, the AFD in Germany and of course, One Nation and their fellow-travellers in the Liberal and National parties in Australia have completely shattered the notion that support for trickle-down economics, particularly la...
November 11, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (BHP Tax Evasion)
- Over the past decade, the behaviour of BHP and other multinational companies has shattered public faith in our political system. We have heard about trickle-down economics, but it has an older and uglier brother. This is the straight rip-off, where companies refuse to play by the rules, and their cronies simply look the other way. It is clear that, over a decade, there has been a culture of tax avoidance at BHP, and they have sought to evade t...
November 11, 2016
- Transcript - Doorstop Interview (Parliament House, Canberra) (1)
- SUBJECT/S: US Election, Economic Inequality WAYNE SWAN: I just wanted to make a few points about the Presidential election result in the States because I think there is a warning, there's a lesson for democracy throughout the western world in this result. Essentially over the last forty years growing inequality of wealth and income distribution has poisoned our political system.
November 10, 2016
- Speech - Private Members Business (Pension Deeming Rates)
- I would like to say a few words about this important motion. I would like to compliment the contributions from the members for Lindsay and Macquarie, who clearly understand the importance of cost of living pressures, not only on full pensioners, but on part pensioners and of course on self-funded retirees. It does not matter where you look over the period of the Abbott-Turnbull government, there has been one common theme: a concerted attack on...
November 08, 2016