- Article - Inclusive Prosperity Dealing With the Perils of Wealth & Income Inequality
- If there is one global political and economic lesson to be drawn from the Brexit experience and the rise of Sanders and Trump let it be this; we ignore the distributional outcomes of globalisation and unfettered market capitalism at our peril. Distributional concerns are the traditional preserve of the political left but the political right should now be just as concerned about the distributional impact of globalisation and unfettere...
August 26, 2016
- Transcript - RN Breakfast
- FRAN KELLY: A new paper from what’s called the Inclusive Prosperity Commission says unless inequality is tackled seriously in Australia, the nation’s economic growth, as well as our social cohesion, will be threatened. The paper is called Inequality: The Facts and The Future. It’s released this morning and the Chair of the Inclusive Prosperity Commission is Wayne Swan, Labor’s federal treasurer for six years. He join...
August 22, 2016
- Transcript - Sky News AM Agenda
- KIERAN GILBERT: This is AM Agenda. With me now is the former Labor Treasurer Wayne Swan. Mr Swan, thanks very much for your time. Chris Bowen says it’s a stunt from Malcom Turnbull but isn’t he just saying that Bill Shorten needs to be good to his word? You said you would back the cuts during the election now you should vote for them. WAYNE SWAN: Well, I’ve only seen the article in
August 17, 2016
- Article - Pigs Might Fly
- Amid the public outrage caused by the banks profiteering off the 80 per cent of $1.4 trillion worth of home loans, there are larger, more serious long-term issues of public policy and financial stability at stake.
August 06, 2016
- Article - Fairly Sharing the Benefits of growth: Australian Leadership in the G20
- Australia’s international engagement reached a new high when we were admitted to the modern G20 on a temporary basis at the end of 2008 and a permanent basis later in 2009. This was a momentous change in global governance and, in my view, Australia’s greatest foreign policy achievement since the founding of APEC 19 years earlier. It opened up global decision making to the disenfranchised developing world and gave a middle pow...
August 03, 2016
- Article - Inclusive Prosperity Should Be Popular, Not Populist
- As voters in the UK brace for the impact of Brexit and US citizens contemplate the candidacy of Donald Trump, in Australia Malcolm Turnbull’s government has fallen over the line after a long and lifeless Coalition campaign.
July 16, 2016