- Article - The Economy Is Balanced On A Knife Edge
- The spectre of Tony Abbott continues to haunt the Australian political landscape. As surely as his presence is a threat to Malcolm Turnbull’s tenuous Prime Ministership, so too are his policy positions poisonous to Australia’s national interest. Earlier this month, the nominally ‘former’ Prime Minister reminded Australians of the threat that his economic views still pose to the nation. While carefully distancing himsel...
October 24, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (BHP Tax Evasion) (1)
- Last week I spoke about BHP's tax evasion and the use of a Singaporean tax shield. On 17 October, Matthew Stevens in the Australian Financial Review made the comment that because BHP was a large Australian taxpayer it was entitled to evade tax on some of its earnings. Mr Stevens apparently thinks it is okay for BHP to seek to avoid paying tax on all the profits of $5.7 billion held in their Singaporean tax shield. In my view, it was their...
October 19, 2016
- Transcript - Doorstop Interview (Parliament House, Canberra)
- SUBJECT/S: Multinational Tax Evasion Wayne Swan: Yesterday I spoke about the use of tax havens and tax shields such as Singapore. I was pleased and surprised I guess to have my remarks endorsed by Kelly O'Dwyer. It's a rare thing in the Parliament to have a government repudiate their own policy.
October 13, 2016
- Speech - International Tax Agreements Amendment Bill
- This is a very important bill. It includes treaty provisions which form part of the OECD BEPS process—that is the base erosion and profit-shifting project. No project could be more important to Australia's future prosperity than one that deals with eliminating multinational tax evasion. It was work I and G20 finance ministers started in 2013, and it shows the importance of international cooperation and how essential that is if we are...
October 12, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (NBN)
- I just wanted to say a few words about internet speeds and internet connection in the electorate of Lilley and the northern suburbs of Brisbane. Earlier this year I was contacted by residents of a new estate, Brighton Landing, regarding the lack of broadband internet in the area. This was a new estate and it did not even have access to ADSL.
October 12, 2016
- Speech - Private Members Business (Penalty Rates)
- Thank you very much deputy speaker. I wanted to say a few words on penalty rates because I think this issue is emblematic of wider issues where there is a stark difference between those on this side of the House and those on the other side of the House. On this side of the house we believe that it is not only good for the individual but good for the economy if we pay people fairly and we also believe that if people work unsociable hours the...
October 11, 2016