- Media Release - ATO Tax Data: Enough is Enough
- Today’s Australian Tax Office data provides further irrefutable evidence of tax evasion and minimisation by wealthy individuals and large corporates, both public and private. One in three private companies pay no tax and one in three public corporate entities operating in Australia pay no tax. In addition, we have 56 millionaires who paid no income tax in 2013, not even the Medicare levy.
March 23, 2016
- Speech - Matter of Public Importance (Economic Leadership)
- This Liberal government is 921 days old, and they have replaced someone who would say anything and do anything to be PM with someone who will say anything and do anything to be PM. We are now seeing the latest manifestation of that: the Turnbull-Di Natale government. This is the latest innovation. It is no wonder that people are confused. Do you know why people are confused about what they are doing on the budget and economic policy?
March 17, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Automotive Industry)
- Australia needs a right to repair act. The federal Liberal government's failure to ensure that the Australian automotive after-market businesses have third-party access to software and vehicle diagnostics of motor vehicle manufacturers is putting yet another nail in the coffin of Australian manufacturing. Last week I meet with three automotive businesses in my electorate, and industry representatives: Lesley Yates from the Australian Autom...
March 17, 2016
- Speech - Treasury Legislation Amendment (Repeal Day 2015) Bill 2015
- This bill, the Treasury Legislation Amendment (Repeal Day 2015) Bill 2015, is part of a disturbing pattern that we have seen from this government not just on superannuation but, of course, in its attitude to the entitlements of people on low and middle incomes right across our country. I think it says something about this government that among its highest priorities in the super system is to make it easier for people to dodge their super guara...
March 17, 2016
- Article - Short-term and populist, the Trumpification of Australian business
- Last week prominent members of the Business Council of Australia (BCA) gathered at the Australian Financial Review for a round table discussion. During the discussion the Chief Executive of the Australian Stock Exchange, Elmer Funke Kupper, reportedly lamented of Australia’s current economic climate “it’s almost a shame we didn’t have a deeper downturn to wake us up to the heavy lifting we’re going to have to do.&...
March 08, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Taxation)
- Today's BIS Shrapnel report is yet another attempt by the coalition's dirty tricks department to discredit the Labor Party's evidence based and very sound negative gearing policy. The Liberal Party has form in this area. Who could ever forget the dodgy accountants the Liberals hired to cost their 2010 election platform, who were found after the election to have breached professional accounting standards in their...
March 04, 2016