- Article - Short-term and populist, the Trumpification of Australian business
- Last week prominent members of the Business Council of Australia (BCA) gathered at the Australian Financial Review for a round table discussion. During the discussion the Chief Executive of the Australian Stock Exchange, Elmer Funke Kupper, reportedly lamented of Australia’s current economic climate “it’s almost a shame we didn’t have a deeper downturn to wake us up to the heavy lifting we’re going to have to do.&...
March 08, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Taxation)
- Today's BIS Shrapnel report is yet another attempt by the coalition's dirty tricks department to discredit the Labor Party's evidence based and very sound negative gearing policy. The Liberal Party has form in this area. Who could ever forget the dodgy accountants the Liberals hired to cost their 2010 election platform, who were found after the election to have breached professional accounting standards in their...
March 04, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Inequality)
- Time and time again, we have seen the Turnbull-Abbott government go after low- and middle-income earners in our community. We have seen them go after pensioners, the very men and women who have worked hard all of their lives to make our country great—all they expect is dignity and respect in their retirement.
March 03, 2016
- Speech - Matter of Public Importance (Housing Affordability)
- It is little wonder that Australians are doubly disillusioned with the Turnbull government. There are reds under the bed everywhere, according to the Turnbull government. And how have we got here? We all knew, up until three or four weeks ago, that they had a solution, a plan for our economy.
March 02, 2016
- Transcript - Doorstop Interview (Parliament House, Canberra)
- SUBJECT/S: Australians Doubly Disillusioned With Turnbull, Government Policy Dysfunction WAYNE SWAN: Well, that was a valiant attempt from the Government to pretend that they’ve actually got a policy process – which they don’t. We’ve got an unprecedented situation at the moment where the Treasurer and the Treasury have been sidelined from the Government’s policy process.
February 28, 2016
- Speech - Constituency Statement (Tax Evasion)
- In parliament two weeks ago I spoke about the stench of tax evasion through the use of tax havens and tax shields such as those used in Singapore. The use of these tax shields by so-called respectable Australian companies is demolishing Australia's corporate tax base.
February 22, 2016