- If We Don't Grow Together We Grow Apart
- I'd like to begin tonight by paying tribute to Gough Whitlam and Wayne Goss, two of Labor's greats. Both have sadly left us now, but they left us better, prouder, wiser and with our heads held high.
November 13, 2014
- MOTION OF CONDOLENCE - DEATH OF THE HON. EDWARD GOUGH WHITLAM AC QC
- I rise today to offer my condolences to the Whitlam family but also to talk a little bit about an extraordinary contribution to our public life. A lot has been said today. This is one of the finest discussions that I have sat through in this parliament.
October 22, 2014
- Lilley Family Day Care Services Face Funding Cuts
- Two family day care services in Lilley are facing uncertainty as the Abbott Government slashes funding for early child care services. In the Abbott Government's first Budget, $1 billion in funding has been cut from early child care services. Of that $1 billion, $157 million will be slashed from family day care funding.
October 15, 2014
- Article - Beware Joe Hockey's commission of cuts
- Treasurer Joe Hockey is continuing to throw rocks from the cheap seats rather than manage a huge structural transition in our $1.5tr economy.
September 22, 2014
- Article - Joe Hockey's budget is an assault on social justice
- At around the 15 minute mark of Hockey’s budget night speech, I’d had enough. It wasn’t the fake economic emergency, the fiddled forecasts or the alleged debt burden, claimed in the name of fixing the budget for future generations. No, it was their undeclared class and generational war, so central to both the budget and the Commission of Audit’s report.
June 03, 2014
- Article - Our own Tea Party conservatives are a threat to Australia's economic record
- Over the last 30 years, the Australian economy has become one of the most open in the developed world and is now in its 23rd year of recession-free economic growth.
January 07, 2014