- ADF Deal A Huge Blow To Brisbane’s Defence Personnel
- The Abbott Government has forced Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel on Brisbane's Northside to accept a real pay cut, while also losing precious recreational and Christmas leave in the lead up to the holiday period. Federal Member for Lilley Wayne Swan said it was a disgrace that the Government could send our servicemen and women into harm's way and at the same time force them to take a pay cut.
November 27, 2014
- Article - Revitalising the G20: the challenge of 2014
- The G20 has come to a crossroads. The global economic recovery is not yet secure. Growth remains anemic across much of the developed world. Political leadership on structural reform remains underwhelming and front-loaded fiscal retrenchment is dragging on demand.
November 19, 2014
- Transcript - CNBC Interview
- First of all I’m really proud of what our city achieved over the weekend. It was fantastic, the logistics were good, and I think there was a really good debate. The importance of the G20 is that leaders can speak out loudly about the big global issues, they can do it or public or they can do it in private, and we had a bit of both at the G20 this weekend.
November 18, 2014
- Article - The political influence of Murdoch's News Carp
- A few weeks out from the 2013 budget, and almost five months shy of the 2013 election, my wife and I attended a surprise 70th birthday celebration for a friend, a former staffer of Labor leader Bill Hayden. It was in an old Labor suburb, Hayden’s old stamping ground. Bill and I chatted about the political outlook. The start of the year had been very difficult, with an aborted leadership challenge. By this stage, politics was dominated by...
November 16, 2014
- If We Don't Grow Together We Grow Apart
- I'd like to begin tonight by paying tribute to Gough Whitlam and Wayne Goss, two of Labor's greats. Both have sadly left us now, but they left us better, prouder, wiser and with our heads held high.
November 13, 2014