- Speech - Competing for Business in the Asian Century
- I thought I'd start slightly differently today by putting our discussion in context with a few simple but stunning facts about the massive amount of global investment flowing into Australia over the last five years. At the end of the day, the best way to judge Australia's attractiveness as an investment destination is to look at the raw numbers.
June 26, 2013
- Speech - Transitioning to a Stronger Future
- CEDA's mighty contribution to our public debate has been on display in recent times through its research on water, energy, health care, and on women in leadership. It's not afraid to take on the big issues. CEDA's focus over the years has been on how to improve our economy, how to make it more efficient, fairer, and better able to adapt to the many challenges the world throws at us. That's a focus I share as Treasurer, and it's what makes my j...
June 25, 2013
- Speech - An Australian Republic: Why The Time Is Now
- I acknowledge the traditional owners of the land we meet on. And I pass my condolences to the family and friends of a great former Australian of the year, proud Indigenous musician Mandawuy Yunupingu. I start by congratulating the people who conceived this excellent book.
June 03, 2013
- Speech - A Fairer Society
- I can't think of anywhere more fitting than ACOSS to continue the conversation we've started together about fairness in our society. I thought I'd do something slightly different today and come at the concept of fairness through the prism of economics, not just equity. I've always believed that good social policy is good economics. And I think that's even more important to remember now than ever. I say that because our economy is in the midst...
May 23, 2013
- Speech - A Smart Nation
- I want to thank David [Hetherington] and his energetic team of thinkers and writers who are casting a giant shadow from a relatively small organisation – one that's very worthy of your support. Today, I thought I'd come at the Budget from a different angle. I want to step back and talk about the battle for reform in this country. It's a struggle that has raged right through our modern political history. I came to politics with the core belief...
May 21, 2013
- Speech - A Stronger Economy
- It's fitting that this year we're again starting the post-budget conversation at an organization like CEDA – which is squarely focused on the long term challenges and big picture policy ideas that shape our nation. It's also great to kick off the discussion in Queensland, a state that not only embodies the resilience of our country, but epitomises the big transition underway in our national economy. I've been talking a lot recently about this...
May 17, 2013