- Article - Our own Tea Party conservatives are a threat to Australia's economic record
- Over the last 30 years, the Australian economy has become one of the most open in the developed world and is now in its 23rd year of recession-free economic growth.
January 07, 2014
- Article - The G20 needs Tony Abbott to take a strong lead
- Amid a serious deterioration in relations with Indonesia, concerning decisions on Israeli settlements at the UN, and a curious performance by our new prime minister at CHOGM, Australia is about to take on the role of chair of the G20. It is not the ideal environment to do so. Regardless, we need to make the most of this significant opportunity.
November 30, 2013
- Speech - Competing for Business in the Asian Century
- I thought I'd start slightly differently today by putting our discussion in context with a few simple but stunning facts about the massive amount of global investment flowing into Australia over the last five years. At the end of the day, the best way to judge Australia's attractiveness as an investment destination is to look at the raw numbers.
June 26, 2013
- Speech - Transitioning to a Stronger Future
- CEDA's mighty contribution to our public debate has been on display in recent times through its research on water, energy, health care, and on women in leadership. It's not afraid to take on the big issues. CEDA's focus over the years has been on how to improve our economy, how to make it more efficient, fairer, and better able to adapt to the many challenges the world throws at us. That's a focus I share as Treasurer, and it's what makes my j...
June 25, 2013
- Speech - An Australian Republic: Why The Time Is Now
- I acknowledge the traditional owners of the land we meet on. And I pass my condolences to the family and friends of a great former Australian of the year, proud Indigenous musician Mandawuy Yunupingu. I start by congratulating the people who conceived this excellent book.
June 03, 2013
- Speech - A Fairer Society
- I can't think of anywhere more fitting than ACOSS to continue the conversation we've started together about fairness in our society. I thought I'd do something slightly different today and come at the concept of fairness through the prism of economics, not just equity. I've always believed that good social policy is good economics. And I think that's even more important to remember now than ever. I say that because our economy is in the midst...
May 23, 2013