- Speech - Closing Address to the Asia-Pacific Financial Market Development Symposium
- Thanks, it's great to have the opportunity to wrap up the Symposium. I think there's been a lot of really good discussion about how we can work together in the region to deepen our financial links. You're all here because you know there are huge opportunities for our region to unleash the flow of capital across Asian borders. Boosting cross-border financing is critical to helping our region fund productive investment and support sustainable lo...
April 11, 2013
- Speech - A Strong, Fair and Sustainable Financial System
- Thanks, it's great to be here. I thought I'd take the opportunity today to do something a bit different and unpack what I think is an untold story of our economic success. Five years on from the darkest days of the global financial crisis, it's not surprising we've talked less about the strength of our financial system. But with the transition now underway in our economy from mining to non-mining growth, we need to have a mature discussion abo...
April 10, 2013
- Speech - Australia China Business Council
- It's a great opportunity to talk about the big role which organisations like the ACBC are playing in deepening our engagement in Asia. A few months ago we released our Australia in the Asian Century White Paper which underscored just how much weight the Gillard Government puts on building our relationships in the region. For forty years, the Australia China Business Council has been laying the critical groundwork for this by enhancing our comm...
March 12, 2013
- Speech - Education and Opportunity: The Mick Young Legacy
- This dinner is always one of the highlights of my year, so in 2013 it's great to witness the launch of a new chapter for the Mick Young Scholarships. A night like tonight brings together so much that I care about, that I know everyone in this room cares deeply about too. Especially education, and I'll be having something to say about the current struggle for a better school funding system in just a moment. All of us understand that the power...
March 01, 2013
- Speech - 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Milne Bay
- There were many moments in the Second World War when the fate of millions hung in the balance, and when the tide turned in crucial ways. The Battle of Milne Bay, fought seventy years ago, was one of those moments.
August 26, 2012
- Speech - John Button Memorial Lecture
- One of the aspects of my job I enjoy most is speaking to different parts of our community about so many different facets of our economy. In roughly eight years in the Treasury portfolio I've made hundreds of speeches on economic topics, which is of course no great surprise particularly given the white-knuckle ride the global economy has been through in recent times.
August 02, 2012