- Speech - Land of Hope and Dreams (John Button Lecture)
- One of the aspects of my job I enjoy most is speaking to different parts of our community about so many different facets of our economy. In roughly eight years in the Treasury portfolio I've made hundreds of speeches on economic topics, which is of course no great surprise particularly given the white-knuckle ride the global economy has been through in recent times.
August 02, 2012
- Speech - Gala Dinner Celebrating 40th Anniversary Of Australia - China Diplomatic Relations
- Tonight we celebrate the growth of the warm friendship, the economic partnership, the frank understanding between our two nations since China and Australia welcomed each other's ambassadors to our capitals just under forty years ago. It's been a remarkable journey. In those four decades the value of our trade has grown a thousand fold. Today we welcome half a million Chinese visitors to Australia each year, and over 350,000 Australians visit C...
July 13, 2012
- Speech - Australia And Hong Kong In The Asian Century
- Asia is destined to become the biggest production zone in the world. That presents huge opportunities for Australia. Of course our rich endowment of natural resources allows us to be a reliable supplier of industrial inputs to the region. Australian iron ore and coal are being transformed in furnaces around the region into steel to build roads, bridges and even entire cities. We'll have coal and liquefied natural gas providing the energy to po...
July 11, 2012
- Speech - Motion Of Condolence - The Honourable Francis John (Frank) Walker QC
- Today we mourn the loss of a distinguished former member of this place, who has served our nation in Ministerial office, the Honourable Frank Walker QC who died in Sydney last Tuesday just weeks shy of his 70th birthday.
June 18, 2012
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy
- I have written to our counterparts outlining the need for Europe to take decisive action to stabilise their financial system and move towards deeper financial and fiscal union. All G20 members need to support growth and jobs, including through structural reforms, while putting their fiscal positions on a sustainable path. But we must be honest about the magnitude of the challenges facing Europe in particular, which no one meeting can fix en...
June 18, 2012
- Speech - Securing Our Strength For The Future
- After a period of relative calm on global financial markets in the first quarter of this year, volatility has intensified as dark clouds again gather over Europe. In particular, markets are watchfully anticipating the outcome of fresh Greek elections in just three days time – the most immediate source of uncertainty. While the trigger points are different, the underlying themes are the same.
June 14, 2012