- Speech - Australia And Hong Kong In The Asian Century
- Asia is destined to become the biggest production zone in the world. That presents huge opportunities for Australia. Of course our rich endowment of natural resources allows us to be a reliable supplier of industrial inputs to the region. Australian iron ore and coal are being transformed in furnaces around the region into steel to build roads, bridges and even entire cities. We'll have coal and liquefied natural gas providing the energy to po...
July 11, 2012
- Speech - Motion Of Condolence - The Honourable Francis John (Frank) Walker QC
- Today we mourn the loss of a distinguished former member of this place, who has served our nation in Ministerial office, the Honourable Frank Walker QC who died in Sydney last Tuesday just weeks shy of his 70th birthday.
June 18, 2012
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy
- I have written to our counterparts outlining the need for Europe to take decisive action to stabilise their financial system and move towards deeper financial and fiscal union. All G20 members need to support growth and jobs, including through structural reforms, while putting their fiscal positions on a sustainable path. But we must be honest about the magnitude of the challenges facing Europe in particular, which no one meeting can fix en...
June 18, 2012
- Speech - Securing Our Strength For The Future
- After a period of relative calm on global financial markets in the first quarter of this year, volatility has intensified as dark clouds again gather over Europe. In particular, markets are watchfully anticipating the outcome of fresh Greek elections in just three days time – the most immediate source of uncertainty. While the trigger points are different, the underlying themes are the same.
June 14, 2012
- Speech - Making This The Australian Century In Asia
- When Gough Whitlam touched down in China forty years ago he entered a land half a world away from Brisbane in every sense of the word. When I touch down in Beijing next month, it will be my seventh visit as Treasurer to China in five years – which is multiples more than some of my predecessors managed. This trip is to celebrate the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Australia and China. But in the spirit of Whitlam – who said upo...
June 12, 2012
- Speech - Growing Wealth The Labor Way
- Fundamentally, the difference in views across our two main political parties stems from our different approaches to wealth creation and the distribution of wealth. And the key point is that only the Labor Party will make the tough decisions needed to grow our national wealth.
May 17, 2012