- Speech - Making This The Australian Century In Asia
- When Gough Whitlam touched down in China forty years ago he entered a land half a world away from Brisbane in every sense of the word. When I touch down in Beijing next month, it will be my seventh visit as Treasurer to China in five years – which is multiples more than some of my predecessors managed. This trip is to celebrate the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Australia and China. But in the spirit of Whitlam – who said upo...
June 12, 2012
- Speech - Growing Wealth The Labor Way
- Fundamentally, the difference in views across our two main political parties stems from our different approaches to wealth creation and the distribution of wealth. And the key point is that only the Labor Party will make the tough decisions needed to grow our national wealth.
May 17, 2012
- Speech - Australia And The Asian Century
- The United States has long been Australia's primary source of foreign investment and remains so. This has been critical for the development of our mining sector, particularly here in Western Australia. And it will continue to be critical given our huge investment pipeline in resources, with WA right at its heart.
May 16, 2012
- Speech - Spreading The Boom Through Our Patchwork Economy
- Real time advice on market and general trading conditions, consumer behaviour and supply chain developments were absolutely crucial in guiding the action we took to keep the doors of business open. Whether it was a direct line to what was unfolding at the bank teller's window, the cashier's till or on the fitting room floor – it was essential. The result is a world-beating economy which walks tall in the world.
May 15, 2012
- Speech - The Fair Go Budget
- Every year after the Budget is delivered in May, I tour the country to talk with Australians about what we're doing with their money, and why. I'm particularly happy to be here with ACOSS today. For more than a decade I've admired ACOSS as an important contributor to the national debate.
May 14, 2012
- Speech - Productivity: The Untold Story Of Budget 2012
- Queensland not only epitomises the resilience of our country – it also sits on the cusp of some incredible opportunities unfolding in our region. It's one of the reasons why the Commonwealth has invested so heavily in infrastructure, skills and education – helping to unlock the great economic potential both here in Queensland and around the country.
May 11, 2012