- Speech - Australia And Asia: On The Right Side Of History
- Probably no gathering in Australia today better understands that our relationship with China – and with Asia more broadly – is punctuated by defining moments, and characterised by a series of inspired choices.
March 28, 2012
- Speech - Tax Reform For An Economy In Transition
- The Tax Forum was one of the big success stories of the year. It brought together 180 of our country's best tax thinkers from right across the community - from business, unions, the third sector, academia - to really thrash out the major challenges we face. But it's one thing to talk tax. It's another to roll up your sleeves and get on with the job of tax reform. That's why I'm pleased to be progressing some really good initiatives that came o...
March 16, 2012
- Speech - If We Don't Grow Together, We Grow Apart
- In the international debate, they describe this issue as equality, or as social mobility, but here in Australia we're used to calling it the fair go. The idea of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay, opportunities for our kids irrespective of where they were born or who their parents are, and a decent safety net for the most vulnerable. And given my lifelong passion, I was pleased to find available over the summer so much thoughtful writing...
March 05, 2012
- Speech - Address To The True Believers Dinner
- When our nation was threatened at the height of the GFC we took heart from governments that had the necessary courage and character and unity to intervene, to put people first. And today we all sense there is something pretty big at stake as well: yes a Queensland election; yes a full-on national debate; but also we see something at stake right around the world. What's at stake is an idea - that simple idea that Government should be there for...
February 17, 2012
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy February 2012
- Indeed, the global economy is in some respects in worse shape than it was last year. Germany and France, the locomotives of European growth and two of the major global economies, are both expected to have contracted in the fourth quarter of last year. As Governor Stevens noted on Tuesday, growth in China has moderated as was intended, although indicators remain robust. But more broadly in Asia, we have seen some softening in growth.
February 09, 2012
- Article - The 0.01 Per Cent: The Rising Influence Of Vested Interests In Australia
- A decade ago, as I waited for my order outside a Maroochydore fish and chip shop, a tall, barefoot young man strolled past wearing a T-shirt that read: ‘Greed is good. Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.’ Those brutal lines seemed to encapsulate what was then a growing sense of unease in Australia.
January 07, 2012