- Speech - The Budget And The Fair Go In The Asian Century
- Today I'm grateful for this chance to go beyond the numbers and talk a bit about the context in which the Budget is shaped. I want to focus on the surplus, consolidation and the role of fiscal policy. And I have some reflections on the parts of the Budget I'm proudest of and that speak loudest of our values. Then, I want to finish on the transitions underway in our economy and the nature of the economic debate.
May 09, 2012
- Speech - Address To The Geebung RSL ANZAC Day Dawn Service
- ANZAC Day is a day where we honour our history. A day where we honour our fallen and those serving now. For me, if you'll indulge me for a moment, it's about honouring my father and my grandfather's service. I still remember vividly attending ANZAC Day ceremonies as a boy with my father in the fifties. And what mattered to us 50 years ago has only grown stronger.
April 25, 2012
- Speech - Making The Most Of Our Opportunities
- Sitting on the edge of Asia amid a structural step-change in the region's demography, economic maturity and affluence offers much for Australians and our own standard of living. But we must make this the Australian Century in Asia, rather than being content to be a passenger in the Asian Century. This means we have to keep getting our policy settings right to ensure we reap all of the benefits available to us in the decades to come.
April 13, 2012
- Speech - A Say In Our Debates And A Stake In Our Success
- It's a conversation we must have as a nation, and I'm delighted so many people are joining in the debate, whether I agree with them or not. Just as I'm delighted to be here even though, naturally, I wouldn't agree with everything I've heard this morning. I can see from the topic you've chosen for this conference that we all agree our nation's egalitarian social contract is something we should be talking about as a nation.
March 29, 2012
- Speech - The Revenue Base And The 2012 Budget
- We have discussed before in this forum some very serious subjects, like tax reform a couple of years ago and, the year before that, measuring the impact of the GFC on our outlook. And now, almost four years on from the GFC, and just over a month out from the big night in May, I want to make three very important and related points...
March 29, 2012
- Speech - Australia And Asia: On The Right Side Of History
- Probably no gathering in Australia today better understands that our relationship with China – and with Asia more broadly – is punctuated by defining moments, and characterised by a series of inspired choices.
March 28, 2012