- Speech - Address To The True Believers Dinner
- When our nation was threatened at the height of the GFC we took heart from governments that had the necessary courage and character and unity to intervene, to put people first. And today we all sense there is something pretty big at stake as well: yes a Queensland election; yes a full-on national debate; but also we see something at stake right around the world. What's at stake is an idea - that simple idea that Government should be there for...
February 17, 2012
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy February 2012
- Indeed, the global economy is in some respects in worse shape than it was last year. Germany and France, the locomotives of European growth and two of the major global economies, are both expected to have contracted in the fourth quarter of last year. As Governor Stevens noted on Tuesday, growth in China has moderated as was intended, although indicators remain robust. But more broadly in Asia, we have seen some softening in growth.
February 09, 2012
- Article - The 0.01 Per Cent: The Rising Influence Of Vested Interests In Australia
- A decade ago, as I waited for my order outside a Maroochydore fish and chip shop, a tall, barefoot young man strolled past wearing a T-shirt that read: ‘Greed is good. Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.’ Those brutal lines seemed to encapsulate what was then a growing sense of unease in Australia.
January 07, 2012
- Speech - Address To Mark The Completion Of The Toowoomba To Darwin Fibre Optic Long-Haul Cable
- Today marks a very important milestone in the history of regional telecommunications in Australia. It's a day where we see superfast broadband delivered to important regional centres from here right down to Toowoomba. It's a day which takes this region to the next level - securing Darwin's future as a modern and sophisticated gateway to Asia.
December 20, 2011
- Speech - Turning Grey Into Gold
- While the whole population increases by about 1.2 per cent a year, seniors are increasing at a rate more than twice that, at 2.6 per cent a year. The rapid ageing of the population is a process unparalleled in human history. It's something governments around the world, as well as scientists, economists and social strategists, are paying serious attention to. It's something our government is also paying very serious attention to.
December 12, 2011
- Speech - Building On Our Strong Foundations In The Asian Century
- For the first in our history, we are in the right part of the world, at the right time. But maximising the opportunities of the Asian Century will require more than just being here. That's why in September the Prime Minister commissioned a White Paper to explore the opportunities for Australia in the Asian Century.
December 03, 2011