- Speech - No Excuses: The European Crisis Of Confidence
- Like the Australians on Wall Street that I addressed in those dark days in 2008 and 2009, you now represent our nation in the most adversely affected part of the world. A part of the world with such a proud tradition of economic innovation and trade, but which now has billions of eyes fixed on it, imploring it to get things right.
October 17, 2011
- Speech - The Global Financial Crisis Three Years On
- Three years ago to the day the Government moved decisively to secure our financial sector with guarantees of bank deposits and wholesale funding. This ensured the continued flow of credit through our economy. Two days later we moved to put in place the first of three rounds of stimulus. Together, these actions ensured Australia avoided being dragged into the worst global recession in 75 years.
October 12, 2011
- Speech - Tax Reform In Australia
- By any measure, the Tax Forum was a great success. I'm proud of the forward-looking discussion, which confounded the critics and cynics. We drew together representatives from across the country, and heard views from the boardroom, from the factory floor, and from around the kitchen table. No topic was off limits, and the conversation covered a broad range of ideas, just as I'd called for less than a month ago in this place.
October 12, 2011
- Speech - Opening Remarks At Future Jobs Forum
- As the Prime Minister indicated, we've been focused on that from day one, and we have been looking intently right through the past four years at what are the most appropriate settings to maximise the opportunities that will flow to Australia from the Asian Century and the terms of trade boom which comes with that.
October 06, 2011
- Speech - Closing Remarks For The Tax Forum
- I'm proud of the discussions we've just had – just as wide-ranging, open and constructive as I hoped it would be when we began. We proved we have the capacity for a mature, forward-looking policy debate – and proved some critics wrong in the process.
October 05, 2011
- Speech - Opening Address To The Tax Forum
- As someone who has spent the bulk of political life talking about tax and transfer payments and a big chunk of the last four years making changes, I know from experience that tax reform is about hard yards, not easy victories, and I know that from close range, some steps can seem small. But when you look at the bigger picture, like we will here, you realise that each step adds up to a larger journey which helps shape our nation.
October 04, 2011