- Speech - The Story Behind The Budget Part Four: An Inclusive Budget
- Giving our kids the best start in life through great schools, better training and more support services was a central theme of the Budget I handed down last week. Today, I want to talk about how this Budget is focused on getting the fundamentals right so we turn the opportunities of the mining boom into enduring prosperity. And so we can make sure that more Australians have access to the services and support that they need. But first I want to...
May 18, 2011
- Speech - The Story Behind The Budget Part Three: Spreading Opportunity
- The way I see it, we have a unique opportunity to take a mining boom and turn it into an opportunity boom for the entire nation. And we will also reap the greatest benefits from the boom, if we draw on all our nation's resources in every corner of our patchwork economy. We want to ensure that the benefits of our prosperity are felt by all Australians. This sentiment is core to Australian values, the sense of a fair go, that everyone has access...
May 17, 2011
- Speech - The Story Behind The Budget Part Two: A Budget About Jobs
- As a modern diversified economy, Australia presents so many opportunities and these will only get greater with the shift in global economic weight to our region. That is why the Gillard Labor Government is so committed to ensuring that Australians have the right skills to take hold of these opportunities and we provide the right support for more Australians to participate.
May 13, 2011
- Speech - The Story Behind The Budget Part One: Fiscal Foundations
- It's great to be back in Brisbane. The last few months have involved back to back meetings of the ERC in a windowless room in Canberra. And during this time I have not spent as much time with the family or here in Queensland as I would have liked.
May 13, 2011
- Speech - An Economy In Transition
- This annual address is among my favourite events of the week, because it gives me an opportunity to talk about the bigger story behind the Budget, not just the very specific numbers and measures that have been well-canvassed over the last 24 hours.
May 11, 2011
- Speech - The 2011 Budget And A Tale Of Two Booms
- Back in 2008 I described our first Budget as the "responsible Budget our nation needs at this time of international turbulence, and high inflation at home". I copped some criticism for not cutting hard enough, by some commentators who did not grasp the risks down the track. Of course the global recession that followed vindicated the fiscal policy we put in place.
April 20, 2011