- Speech - Tax Reform And Our Patchwork Economy
- Each participant understands, as the Government understands, the critical role our tax system plays in our modern economy. The role it plays in generating the revenue to fund the quality public services that the community needs, whether they be health, education, national security or the social safety net. And how it affects the millions of choices that Australians make every day – about working, saving, investing and spending.
September 21, 2011
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy August 2011
- The global economy has been through one of its most difficult periods in recent years, starting with the sub-prime crisis in the US, the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the global financial crisis and the global recession. Despite all of the global turbulence, our economy and our people have shown themselves to be resilient. A resilience built on strong fundamentals, national unity, and a willingness to meet our challenges head on.
August 16, 2011
- Speech - Sustainable Business And The Clean Energy Future
- In many ways the Australian economy is well placed to outperform its global peers over coming years. But it's also true that like many of you I have become increasingly concerned over the outlook for the global economy in recent weeks. We saw last week for example that US growth for the first half of the year had slowed to a crawl. The debt ceiling drama Washington hasn't helped. Though the US congress has finally secured agreement to lift its...
August 04, 2011
- Speech - Small Business Tax Reform - Meeting The Nation's Challenges Head On
- There is a special place in my heart for small business especially for the small businesses in my own community in the northern suburbs of Brisbane. My regard for small business comes from the respect I have for the hard workers in our community, the people who value effort and enterprise.
July 26, 2011
- Speech - Address To Trans-Tasman Business Council
- The trans-Tasman rivalry is something that is well known. Gold versus black. VB versus DB. Jonathan Thurston versus Benji Marshall. The Reds versus the Crusaders. But beyond the rivalry, there exists a much closer, deeper bond.
July 14, 2011
- Speech - Opportunities For Australia In China's Booming Middle Class
- The speed and scale of the changes we are witnessing in our region are unprecedented. The shift in global economic weight means big changes in the global economy, and big changes in our own economy. China's rise is changing its role in the global economy, but it's also changing the global political landscape. It's now inconceivable that China is not at the fore of every serious policy makers' mind.
July 12, 2011