- Speech - Sustainable Business And The Clean Energy Future
- In many ways the Australian economy is well placed to outperform its global peers over coming years. But it's also true that like many of you I have become increasingly concerned over the outlook for the global economy in recent weeks. We saw last week for example that US growth for the first half of the year had slowed to a crawl. The debt ceiling drama Washington hasn't helped. Though the US congress has finally secured agreement to lift its...
August 04, 2011
- Speech - Small Business Tax Reform - Meeting The Nation's Challenges Head On
- There is a special place in my heart for small business especially for the small businesses in my own community in the northern suburbs of Brisbane. My regard for small business comes from the respect I have for the hard workers in our community, the people who value effort and enterprise.
July 26, 2011
- Speech - Address To Trans-Tasman Business Council
- The trans-Tasman rivalry is something that is well known. Gold versus black. VB versus DB. Jonathan Thurston versus Benji Marshall. The Reds versus the Crusaders. But beyond the rivalry, there exists a much closer, deeper bond.
July 14, 2011
- Speech - Opportunities For Australia In China's Booming Middle Class
- The speed and scale of the changes we are witnessing in our region are unprecedented. The shift in global economic weight means big changes in the global economy, and big changes in our own economy. China's rise is changing its role in the global economy, but it's also changing the global political landscape. It's now inconceivable that China is not at the fore of every serious policy makers' mind.
July 12, 2011
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Global Economy July 2011
- It's important to remember that Australia is in a far stronger position than most advanced economies. This is because we heeded these very warnings from the IMF and the broader international community that it would be harder for economies to recover from a recession that was induced by a financial crisis. It is exactly why we acted to avert a recession at home.
July 06, 2011
- Speech - The Role Of Government In A Changing Economy
- Like every speaker at these conferences I'm faced with the choice between taking a very specific topic – like I did about eight years ago when I talked about transfer payment design and in 2008 when I talked about commonwealth-state relations – or to take an overall view of the big macro trends and the broad sweep of our economic evolution. Today, conscious that others will focus on filling in the pixels of the bigger picture, one PowerPoint s...
June 30, 2011