- Speech - The 2011 Budget And A Tale Of Two Booms
- Back in 2008 I described our first Budget as the "responsible Budget our nation needs at this time of international turbulence, and high inflation at home". I copped some criticism for not cutting hard enough, by some commentators who did not grasp the risks down the track. Of course the global recession that followed vindicated the fiscal policy we put in place.
April 20, 2011
- Speech - Australia'a Response To The Global Financial Crisis
- Kim and I first met Chris, when Kim took on the unenviable task of Opposition Leader following 13 years of Government and Chris and I were both members of his staff. Chris later became my Chief of Staff, in what will go down as one of the most difficult times the Australian economy has faced and during one of the most successful policy responses.
April 15, 2011
- Speech - Launch Of The Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal 2011
- It was truly inspiring to listen to Commissioner Ray Finger to talk about the work of William Booth, because the work of William Booth reminds of this fundamental fact and that is we are all the weaker when one of us falls behind. And the things that we do together are the things that make us strong. And through history, it has been the Salvation Army that has always been there to remind us about people who fall behind, about people who do it...
April 11, 2011
- Speech - Investing In Experience
- We are here today to acknowledge the enormous contribution made by older Australians -- to their families, their local communities and also our modern Australian society. We're also here to celebrate and promote the continuing contribution older Australians make to the workplace and the economy. I know I don't need to preach to anyone here today about the importance of older workers. I know all of you know just how critical they are and how mu...
March 30, 2011
- Speech - Economic Impact Of Recent Natural Disasters
- At home, our country has been ravaged by floods, with Cyclone Yasi in the north and bushfires in the west. Overseas, we have seen earthquakes hit Christchurch and in the past 12 days we have watched the horrific images as one of the largest earthquakes on record hit Japan, followed by the devastating impact of the subsequent tsunami.
March 23, 2011
- Speech - Social Media And A More Progressive Future
- Such a long time ago – before the days of Twitter and Facebook, and around the time when some of you in this room were born. It would be tempting to say you make me feel old, but you don't. In fact, being back here, seeing your energy and your commitment, fires me up.
February 26, 2011