- Speech - The Second Reading
- The Federal Financial Relations Amendment (National Health and Hospitals Network) Bill 2010 will implement the key financial elements of the National Health and Hospitals Network reforms. These reforms are among the most substantial improvements to Commonwealth-State relations in memory. They are all about getting better value for all Australians from the money we invest in health.
October 27, 2010
- Speech - Afghanistan
- It is in our national interest to be in Afghanistan. We are there, as part of a United Nations mandated international stabilisation effort. We are there to prevent Afghanistan from once again becoming a safe haven for terrorists to recruit, train and plot attacks against Australia and our friends and allies.
October 20, 2010
- Speech - Global And Domestic Economies
- Two years ago this Government participated in an historic crisis meeting of the G20 group of leading economies in Washington DC. That meeting agreed to unprecedented measures of international cooperation to try to avert what then seemed almost inevitable: a collapse of the global economy so deep and so prolonged as to rival the Great Depression. Through unprecedented collective action the global community stared down the most severe, widesprea...
October 18, 2010
- Speech - The Australian Success Story
- The global economy was teetering on the edge of a cliff, but common need – and common sense – prevailed. And it was at this meeting that we first agreed on the need for a forceful and coordinated global response to avoid a repeat of the Great Depression. We agreed to provide liquidity, to strengthen financial institutions, to shore up jobs and to defend economies.
October 11, 2010
- Speech - Building On Our Strengths
- Those of you who know me know I'm an optimist about the future of our economy and our country. And you know my optimism springs from two things: what we've been able to achieve together these past few years; and my belief our economy really is on the cusp of something special.
September 16, 2010