- Speech - Skills And The Recovery
- It is a major privilege for me to be invited to give the 2009 Mick Young Oration. And I have to 'fess up with a declaration of personal interest – Mick Young was a friend of mine; a very close friend of mine, as his wife and children remain to this day. More than that, he was a much loved mentor to me – as he was to so many others.
November 18, 2009
- Speech - Tax Reform For Australia's Future
- Both MYEFO and the RBA Board's decision provide further evidence of an economy beginning down the long road to recovery, having survived the most dramatic synchronised global downturn in three quarters of a century. And tomorrow we will see more evidence of that from the Reserve. Our economy is stronger, our unemployment is lower, and the budget position has improved substantially from the forecasts in the May Budget. We now expect the economy...
November 05, 2009
- Speech - Investing In Recovery
- I last addressed the AI Group just over one year ago, a few days after the Government had announced its Economic Security Strategy. I spoke then about the need for decisive and coordinated policy action and my desire to work closely with the business community in grappling with the monumental challenges that lay ahead.
November 05, 2009
- Speech - One Year On: Fiscal Stimulus And The Path Ahead
- This is a critical time for us to meet; one year to the day since the Government announced that it would guarantee bank deposits and wholesale funding, a year since I saw the fear in the eyes of my international counterparts in a DC meeting of the IMF and World Bank and, in two days’ time, a year since we announced the Economic Security Strategy – the first phase of our fiscal stimulus.
October 12, 2009
- Speech - The Light On The Hill In The Fog Of Global Recession
- Because the man we remember tonight, Ben Chifley, wasn't just a titan of the Australian Labor Party. He was in his time the most respected person in the country. Perhaps the most respected in our history. His entire life embodies something about our nation: the ability of someone from the humblest of backgrounds to rise through talent and sheer hard work to the very top - and then, once there, to pull others up behind him.
September 19, 2009
- Speech - Address To Fundraising Lunch For Alzheimer's Australia (NSW)
- Today I'll discuss what the Government is doing to respond to the global economic crisis and the strong foundations we're laying for the recovery. And I'll also talk a little about the initiatives we're taking in health reform and in particular to support and complement the work of organisations like Alzheimer's Australia.
September 18, 2009