- Speech - Personal Reflection On The 2010 Budget
- I know a few Treasurers before me have done more Budgets than the three I've chalked up. But three Budgets have been enough to establish in my mind that the Press Club is a particularly discerning post‑Budget audience. An audience that is already familiar with many of the numbers I presented last night, and one that won't take kindly to hearing them all again today.
May 12, 2010
- Speech - Managing Prosperity In The Next Mining Boom - Beyond The 'Lucky Country'
- Donald Horne was not the first to discover a great truism of public life: the idea that irony doesn't always translate well when it ventures beyond the narrowcast world of ideas and into the broadcast world of retail politics. I'm thinking of course of the reception given his most famous book, The Lucky Country from 1964.
May 04, 2010
- Speech - Service, Sacrifice And Support
- Some of you may have read Les Carlyon's wonderful books about Gallipoli and the Western Front. One of its strongest messages is that in the early years Anzac Day was a day of mixed emotions. Pride at our troops' courage and achievements, but also immense sadness. The memories were too painful. There were terrible physical wounds.
April 30, 2010
- Speech - Anzac Dawn Service Remarks
- After the evacuation of Gallipoli, despite being already 37 years old, a husband and father, my grandfather was one of the people who answered the call to fill the ranks the fighting there had left depleted. As part of General Monash's 3rd Division, he saw some of the worst fighting on the Western Front—at Messines Ridge, and later at Broodeseinde and during the German Spring Offensive of 1918.
April 25, 2010
- Speech - The Right Kind Of Growth
- It's always a pleasure to be back in Queensland. Unfortunately at this time of year I spend a lot of time in Canberra, with work on the budget requiring a lot of my time. But I did manage to sneak away to watch the Broncos' season opener here at Lang Park a couple of weeks ago.
March 30, 2010
- Speech - Equal Opportunity For Women In The Workplace Agency Employer Of Choice For Women Announcement
- It's great to see not just the large organisations - the large banks - but many other smaller organisations represented here today, because we won't make the progress if we're just relying on one or two large organisations to set the example. This has to become a part of our life, from top to bottom, from large to small, and at the core of this - from my perspective as Treasurer - is a fundamental economic fact: that as a country we do prosper...
March 08, 2010