- Speech - Australia And India - A Partnership For The Future
- The increased economic links between our two countries means that today travel to India by Australian Treasurers and economic ministers is more than just a great pleasure, it's an absolute necessity.
September 07, 2009
- Speech - A Year Since Lehman: Where To From Here?
- In the world of independent think tanks there are few, if any, that rival the prestige and history of this institution. Standing here one cannot help thinking of the discussions that have taken place both within these walls and beyond, under the 'rule' to which this building (and institution) has given its name. In challenging times, the ability to invoke the 'Chatham House Rule' to facilitate free and frank discussion has, I have no doubt, he...
September 04, 2009
- Speech - Address To The Canberra International CEO Forum
- It has been a little over a year since I last attended one of your gatherings - and what a year it has been. Last time we met, a couple of months before the collapse of Lehman Brothers, I had just returned from meetings with a number of my G-20 colleagues in Europe and Asia. I spoke to you then about the difficult global environment I had seen and the challenges ahead. And I also talked about the cheerless investment bankers I had met in London.
August 19, 2009
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Economy
- In a March 2008 ministerial statement I warned "the deteriorating global outlook does present a significant risk to the Australian economy". In June that year I cautioned "much of the impact on the real economy is yet to be felt". And in September I described "a challenging time for the Australian economy and the global economy", adding "that if we engage and work on the challenges we face, we will come through this difficult time better place...
August 11, 2009
- Speech - Foreign Investment And The Long Road To Recovery
- Today I want to talk to you about the path ahead for the Australian economy, and where it fits in a global economy that will look very different to the one were accustomed to, pre-crisis. And when I say this, I don't just mean the path ahead over the next 12 months, I'm talking about the next 12 years and beyond.
August 04, 2009
- Speech - Responding To The Global Recession
- In the time since Parliament rose – and you might recall it was a nice, calm end to the session for me, so I was fresh to begin with – I have been travelling around the country. I've done two Community Cabinet meetings – in South Australia (Elizabeth) and in Queensland (Beenleigh). I've also done a few days through Wollongong, Grafton and Lismore. And even had a few days in my electorate.
July 31, 2009