- Speech - Address To Fundraising Lunch For Alzheimer's Australia (NSW)
- Today I'll discuss what the Government is doing to respond to the global economic crisis and the strong foundations we're laying for the recovery. And I'll also talk a little about the initiatives we're taking in health reform and in particular to support and complement the work of organisations like Alzheimer's Australia.
September 18, 2009
- Speech - The Population Challenge And Australia's Future
- Let me kick off with three facts that some of you may be aware of, but which wouldn't yet be appreciated by the broader community. Over the next 40 years it is projected that the number of young people and the number of people of traditional working age will both increase by about 45 per cent. But here's the thing: over the same 40 year period, the number of older people aged 65‑84 years will more than double and the number of very old people...
September 18, 2009
- Speech - Australia And India - A Partnership For The Future
- The increased economic links between our two countries means that today travel to India by Australian Treasurers and economic ministers is more than just a great pleasure, it's an absolute necessity.
September 07, 2009
- Speech - A Year Since Lehman: Where To From Here?
- In the world of independent think tanks there are few, if any, that rival the prestige and history of this institution. Standing here one cannot help thinking of the discussions that have taken place both within these walls and beyond, under the 'rule' to which this building (and institution) has given its name. In challenging times, the ability to invoke the 'Chatham House Rule' to facilitate free and frank discussion has, I have no doubt, he...
September 04, 2009
- Speech - Address To The Canberra International CEO Forum
- It has been a little over a year since I last attended one of your gatherings - and what a year it has been. Last time we met, a couple of months before the collapse of Lehman Brothers, I had just returned from meetings with a number of my G-20 colleagues in Europe and Asia. I spoke to you then about the difficult global environment I had seen and the challenges ahead. And I also talked about the cheerless investment bankers I had met in London.
August 19, 2009
- Speech - Ministerial Statement On The Economy
- In a March 2008 ministerial statement I warned "the deteriorating global outlook does present a significant risk to the Australian economy". In June that year I cautioned "much of the impact on the real economy is yet to be felt". And in September I described "a challenging time for the Australian economy and the global economy", adding "that if we engage and work on the challenges we face, we will come through this difficult time better place...
August 11, 2009