- Speech - Foreign Investment And The Long Road To Recovery
- Today I want to talk to you about the path ahead for the Australian economy, and where it fits in a global economy that will look very different to the one were accustomed to, pre-crisis. And when I say this, I don't just mean the path ahead over the next 12 months, I'm talking about the next 12 years and beyond.
August 04, 2009
- Speech - Responding To The Global Recession
- In the time since Parliament rose – and you might recall it was a nice, calm end to the session for me, so I was fresh to begin with – I have been travelling around the country. I've done two Community Cabinet meetings – in South Australia (Elizabeth) and in Queensland (Beenleigh). I've also done a few days through Wollongong, Grafton and Lismore. And even had a few days in my electorate.
July 31, 2009
- Speech - Chapter 2: Securing Our Future With Responsible Economic Management
- I've been a delegate to National Conferences since 1984. I considered my first election a great honour and I still do today. It gives me special pride to address this chapter - securing our future with responsible economic management. And the reason is simple. It's because this Government has achieved great things in a short period of time. We do not get to choose the time of our being elected, and the timing we know has brought with it great...
July 30, 2009
- Speech - Australia, China And The Global Recession
- Before I get into matters economic, I would like to address the current matter of the detention of Mr Stern Hu in China, as I know it will be on the minds of everyone in this room. As is proper, I will leave detailed comment on this issue to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, but I would like to re-affirm that the Australian Government will be taking a responsible and methodical approach to this case. We will make appropriate-level representati...
July 14, 2009
- Speech - Budget Pension And Superannuation Reforms
- So I'd like to talk briefly about three things today: a brief picture of how our economy is travelling; an outline of what the Government is doing to shield Australia from the worst effects of the global recession; and then a longer discussion of the initiatives we have taken for pensioners and superannuants.
July 10, 2009
- Speech - Positioning Australia For Recovery
- I like the name you give to these conferences: 'State of the Nation'. It encourages us towards a genuine stocktake of our economy, the pressures, the challenges over the horizon and how we go about meeting them together. And it's a tribute to your organisation that in the midst of all this global economic carnage, you've still made this year's theme 'priorities for the future'. You know, as I know, that we can never take our eye off the long-t...
June 15, 2009