- Speech - Chapter 2: Securing Our Future With Responsible Economic Management
- I've been a delegate to National Conferences since 1984. I considered my first election a great honour and I still do today. It gives me special pride to address this chapter - securing our future with responsible economic management. And the reason is simple. It's because this Government has achieved great things in a short period of time. We do not get to choose the time of our being elected, and the timing we know has brought with it great...
July 30, 2009
- Speech - Australia, China And The Global Recession
- Before I get into matters economic, I would like to address the current matter of the detention of Mr Stern Hu in China, as I know it will be on the minds of everyone in this room. As is proper, I will leave detailed comment on this issue to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, but I would like to re-affirm that the Australian Government will be taking a responsible and methodical approach to this case. We will make appropriate-level representati...
July 14, 2009
- Speech - Budget Pension And Superannuation Reforms
- So I'd like to talk briefly about three things today: a brief picture of how our economy is travelling; an outline of what the Government is doing to shield Australia from the worst effects of the global recession; and then a longer discussion of the initiatives we have taken for pensioners and superannuants.
July 10, 2009
- Speech - Positioning Australia For Recovery
- I like the name you give to these conferences: 'State of the Nation'. It encourages us towards a genuine stocktake of our economy, the pressures, the challenges over the horizon and how we go about meeting them together. And it's a tribute to your organisation that in the midst of all this global economic carnage, you've still made this year's theme 'priorities for the future'. You know, as I know, that we can never take our eye off the long-t...
June 15, 2009
- Speech - Opening Of The Refurbished Ashfield School Of Arts Building
- Under the leadership of people like Bill and others, organisations like Exodus, ACOSS, the Smith Family, the Jesuits, the Brotherhood and others have thrown their full force behind a simple but powerful idea. That's the idea that the best way to exit poverty is to re-enter a school.
June 05, 2009
- Speech - Prostate Cancer: The Power Of Knowledge
- As you can understand, I've had a rather busy few months of late preparing a Budget and trying to find money in a tight financial environment for so many good causes. But no matter how busy things are or how tight our finances are, I always try and find a bit of time to talk about the cancer that takes the lives of so many of the people we love. Including prostate cancer.
May 27, 2009