- Speech - A Future Of Promise
- A lot of people have remarked to me since we all heard that sickening sound that accompanied the collapse of Lehman Brothers last year that it must be frustrating, having sat in opposition during the boom years, developing a plan for the future, only now to have to chart a way through such an extraordinary international economic collapse.
March 23, 2009
- Speech - Extraordinary Times Demand Extraordinary Action
- I want to thank the LSE for its invitation to address what is truly one of the world's great educational institutions. It is an institution that has fostered some of the world's leading economic thinkers, such as Sir John Hicks, Friedrich Hayek, James Meade and Robert Mundell – and my personal favourite, James Hacker, MP. I am sure that Professor Davies followed that reference, but I am not so sure about the younger members of the audience
March 13, 2009
- Speech - Tax Reform For Prosperity, Productivity And Fairness
- Congratulations to the ACTU, ACOSS, the Australian Conservation Foundation and the Consumers’ Federation of Australia for organising this important symposium. For drawing together representatives from unions, community services, environmental and consumer groups to discuss the Tax Review and the potential challenges, opportunities and choices facing Australians over the next few decades.
February 25, 2009
- Speech - Turning Crisis Into Opportunity
- It's hard to imagine a more important time to meet. There's certainly a lot of doom and gloom around and I don't intend to rehash all the facts and figures here tonight. Like me, many of you have been overseas and seen the worst of it. There's no doubting the severity of this global recession. And we know that things are likely to get worse before they get better. But it's important to remember tonight the strengths we have going for us here,...
February 04, 2009
- Speech - The Global Recession And Australia's Future Economy
- It's quite a daunting task now, to come and give a speech in the United States - when it comes to speeches, President Obama really has lifted the bar! And what an exciting time to be here, as a young and engaging new President is sworn in with an agenda to provide the nation and the world with a renewed sense of hope and optimism. Never before has an American President come to power with so much goodwill and expectation for change from the peo...
January 23, 2009
- Speech - Address To The Premiere Of The Livestrong Global Cancer Campaign By The Lance Armstrong Foundation
- Governor, Premier Rann, invited guests, and also a number of my parliamentary colleagues who are here today – Sports Minister Kate Ellis, she's a large part of that solution that the Professor was talking about before. And of course Steve Georganas is here as well. And of course to Lance. And one of the great things about today is that I can move away from being Treasurer, and I can go back to being a cancer survivor. Can I salute you for what...
January 19, 2009