- Speech - Guarantee Scheme For Large Deposits And Wholesale Funding Appropriation Bill 2008
- Today I am introducing a Bill to provide a standing appropriation to pay any possible claims made under the Australian Government's Guarantee Scheme for Large Deposits and Wholesale Funding. The Bill will provide international markets with the assurance that Australian institutions are, in their borrowings, supported by an Australian Government guarantee, and that payments made under that guarantee will be timely.
November 25, 2008
- Speech - Address To Australia-Israel Chamber Of Commerce
- It is good to have the opportunity to address this group again. I don't intend to speak for long but, before we get into the Q and A, I just want to give you my thoughts briefly about the two major international meetings on the global financial crisis which I've just attended - the G20 Finance Ministers' meeting in Sao Paulo, and the G20 Leaders' Summit in Washington.
November 21, 2008
- Speech - Funding Research Into Prostate Cancer
- Each year in Australia we see 18,000 new diagnoses of prostate cancer which kills 3,000 men, and approximately 20,000 men are living with advanced prostate cancer at any one time. And although most common in men over the age of 50, younger men with a history of prostate cancer in their family are at an increased risk.
November 19, 2008
- Speech - More Liveable, Productive And Sustainable Cities
- Councils are critical to our nation’s productivity and infrastructure, but too rarely have they played a role in these discussions and debates about our nation’s future. That is why the Rudd Government is taking action and reaching directly to that level of government closest to the community.
November 18, 2008
- Speech - Address To The Per Capita Policy Conference
- Australia has a history of relying heavily on advice and ideas from within government. Governments, of course, generate good ideas. But think tanks have capacity for unconstrained, nimble, entrepreneurial movement which government cannot always replicate.
October 30, 2008
- Speech - Address To The Brisbane North Chamber Of Commerce
- I had a few moments of reflection on the way to speak with you this afternoon. As a North Brissy local, I've travelled our local roads thousands of times. I was struck on this journey by just how much our local area has grown in the 12 years I've been the Member for Lilley, and in the 12 years since the Chamber of Commerce was established.
October 27, 2008