- Speech - Tax Laws Amendment (Education Refund) Bill 2008 - Second Reading Speech
- This Government is committed to implementing an Education Revolution. Because education is the engine room of prosperity and helps create a fairer, more productive society. It is the most effective way we know, to build prosperity and spread opportunity. A key part of the education revolution is helping parents meet the everyday costs of their children’s education. Helping parents meet the costs of the books and the computers and the software...
September 25, 2008
- Speech - Global Economic Turbulence: An Update On The Government's Response
- As honourable members know, the last two weeks have been a tumultuous period on global financial markets, to say the least. There's no question this is a difficult time for the world economy. And it would be wrong of us, as a nation, to pretend we are completely immune. It's true that there is much here that is beyond the control of the Australian Government. This is something we've been upfront about, throughout this global economic turbulenc...
September 22, 2008
- Speech - Federalism And The Engine Room Of Prosperity
- To most Australians, federalism is probably about as popular as a politician appearing onstage at a Grand Final. Yet while it may not yet have become the lead topic of conversation in the nation's lounge rooms and pubs, Australians do care about making public services work better. And in a system like ours, it's hard to get better outcomes in areas like housing, health and Indigenous affairs unless all governments work together.
September 11, 2008
- Speech - Nation Building And The Future Economy
- We know the modern, competitive economy we're trying to build depends on 21st century infrastructure - a key part of our efforts to get the domestic economic fundamentals right in a slowing global economy. Can I begin by acknowledging IAQ Chairman, Jeremy Prentice, and IAQ Executive Director, Paul Clauson. And from all the familiar faces here today I want to single out for a special mention, my friend Anthony Chisholm, State Secretary of the A...
September 09, 2008
- Speech - The Australian Economy And Global Conditions
- There have been a lot of economic numbers in the last week or so, a lot of debate and commentary about our economic circumstances. And I think it is appropriate now to give the House and the Australian people the Government’s detailed assessment of the Australian economy. Where we have come from, where we are, where we are going. I do so in the knowledge that this is a challenging time for the Australian economy and the global economy.
September 04, 2008
- Speech - Launch Of Children's Cancer Institute Of Australia's Community Fundraising Campaign
- Treasurers are often called upon to make speeches on serious topics but I've never made one on an issue as serious or vital as this one. I've been asked along not just because I'm the Treasurer but because, like Jake who's with us today, I'm also a cancer survivor. But whilst I've had cancer and whilst I've experienced first hand its effects on me and those around me, I'm not going to put my experiences on the same level as those experienced b...
August 31, 2008