- Speech - The Global Recession And Australia's Future Economy
- It's quite a daunting task now, to come and give a speech in the United States - when it comes to speeches, President Obama really has lifted the bar! And what an exciting time to be here, as a young and engaging new President is sworn in with an agenda to provide the nation and the world with a renewed sense of hope and optimism. Never before has an American President come to power with so much goodwill and expectation for change from the peo...
January 23, 2009
- Speech - Address To The Premiere Of The Livestrong Global Cancer Campaign By The Lance Armstrong Foundation
- Governor, Premier Rann, invited guests, and also a number of my parliamentary colleagues who are here today – Sports Minister Kate Ellis, she's a large part of that solution that the Professor was talking about before. And of course Steve Georganas is here as well. And of course to Lance. And one of the great things about today is that I can move away from being Treasurer, and I can go back to being a cancer survivor. Can I salute you for what...
January 19, 2009
- Speech - Guarantee Scheme For Large Deposits And Wholesale Funding Appropriation Bill 2008
- Today I am introducing a Bill to provide a standing appropriation to pay any possible claims made under the Australian Government's Guarantee Scheme for Large Deposits and Wholesale Funding. The Bill will provide international markets with the assurance that Australian institutions are, in their borrowings, supported by an Australian Government guarantee, and that payments made under that guarantee will be timely.
November 25, 2008
- Speech - Address To Australia-Israel Chamber Of Commerce
- It is good to have the opportunity to address this group again. I don't intend to speak for long but, before we get into the Q and A, I just want to give you my thoughts briefly about the two major international meetings on the global financial crisis which I've just attended - the G20 Finance Ministers' meeting in Sao Paulo, and the G20 Leaders' Summit in Washington.
November 21, 2008
- Speech - Funding Research Into Prostate Cancer
- Each year in Australia we see 18,000 new diagnoses of prostate cancer which kills 3,000 men, and approximately 20,000 men are living with advanced prostate cancer at any one time. And although most common in men over the age of 50, younger men with a history of prostate cancer in their family are at an increased risk.
November 19, 2008
- Speech - More Liveable, Productive And Sustainable Cities
- Councils are critical to our nation’s productivity and infrastructure, but too rarely have they played a role in these discussions and debates about our nation’s future. That is why the Rudd Government is taking action and reaching directly to that level of government closest to the community.
November 18, 2008