- Speech - Address To The Per Capita Policy Conference
- Australia has a history of relying heavily on advice and ideas from within government. Governments, of course, generate good ideas. But think tanks have capacity for unconstrained, nimble, entrepreneurial movement which government cannot always replicate.
October 30, 2008
- Speech - Address To The Brisbane North Chamber Of Commerce
- I had a few moments of reflection on the way to speak with you this afternoon. As a North Brissy local, I've travelled our local roads thousands of times. I was struck on this journey by just how much our local area has grown in the 12 years I've been the Member for Lilley, and in the 12 years since the Chamber of Commerce was established.
October 27, 2008
- Speech - Opening Remarks To The Australian Industry Group Forum
- I'm looking forward today to hearing from you about what you're finding at the coalface and how we can work together to meet these challenges of the future. It's been very important for the economy and for the Government to be able to have a close liaison with groups like the AiG. It's been important particularly in the framing of our May Budget.
October 17, 2008
- Speech - Adapting Our Architecture To Challenging Times
- We send some of our smartest young people here to be visiting fellows – including people like Michael Fullilove, who I’m delighted to see here today. And some of our most prominent intellectual elder statesmen, like James Wolfensohn, are among the Institution’s leaders. Brookings for us and for many countries is a model of what a think tank can aspire to be.
October 10, 2008
- Speech - A Strong, Competitive Financial System In Uncertain Times
- You won't be surprised to hear this is what takes up most of my time these days – long days sometimes book-ended with conversations with my counterparts around the world. These conversations are one reason why the PM and I have been able to stay ahead of the global game, anticipating the challenges of these uncertain times and adapting our policy responses accordingly.
October 03, 2008
- Speech - Tax Laws Amendment (Education Refund) Bill 2008 - Second Reading Speech
- This Government is committed to implementing an Education Revolution. Because education is the engine room of prosperity and helps create a fairer, more productive society. It is the most effective way we know, to build prosperity and spread opportunity. A key part of the education revolution is helping parents meet the everyday costs of their children’s education. Helping parents meet the costs of the books and the computers and the software...
September 25, 2008