- Speech - A Modern Platform For Business
- There are a lot of people who run major businesses here this evening. You are accustomed to making decisions when the future is uncertain; when there are difficult trade-offs between competing objectives; when you need to assemble the most thoughtful analysis; and when the success of your business sometimes depends on you departing quite radically from the way things used to be done. This is also the context in which I am framing the Budget.
February 26, 2008
- Speech - Tax Laws Amendment (Personal Income Tax Reduction) Bill 2008
- These tax reforms are designed to reward the hard work of Australians whose efforts are so critical to keeping the economy strong. They are also a down payment on a more internationally competitive tax system that will enhance the economy's productive capacity and help attract and retain highly skilled workers.
February 14, 2008
- Speech - Address To The Mick Young Scholarship Trust Dinner
- Well, what a marvelous event to remember and continue the legacy of my old friend and my great early political mentor, Mick Young. I can think of few people in our great movement – indeed, few Australians – who could draw not only the PM but most of the Government to a dinner in their honour. In fact, with a quorum present, Kevin, I suggest a quick Cabinet meeting after the second bottle of wine when everyone's in an agreeable mood.
February 08, 2008
- Speech - Informing The Modern Economy
- I'm sure you'll agree they are two of the Canberra gallery's best journalists, of course bolstered now by the talented Ashleigh Gillon. Sky has had a remarkable impact on government and business, and changed the face of real-time journalism with its regularly breaking news. And since Sky began broadcasting here in the mid-1990s, the shape of the Australian economy has changed dramatically.
January 31, 2008
- Speech - A Modern Economy For Australia's Future
- Finishing a campaign is a funny thing; however trying the physical demands, you do get a burst of energy after it's over — at least when you win. Maybe that's what Australians expect of a new government — a new crew and a big jolt of energy, ready to get cracking on something big. The Prime Minister and his ministers have not wasted any time.
December 14, 2007
- Speech - Climate Change Speech To The Finance Minister's Meeting
- This meeting springs from the recognition that climate change is more than an environmental challenge – it's an important and pressing economic challenge as well. The science is overwhelming – climate change, if left unaddressed, will profoundly affect our physical environment, bringing with it potentially dire economic consequences.
December 11, 2007